Things you should know about Mold in Harrisburg PA: With all the wet weather we had in the summer of 2011, then with the advent of Tropical Storm Lee last September, this "mold" question is popping up more and more. Here are some things to remember about mold.
1. Potential health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposure include allergic reactions, asthma, and other respiratory complaints.
2. There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
3. If mold is a problem in your home or school, you must clean up the mold and eliminate sources of moisture.
4. Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold growth.
5. Reduce indoor humidity to 30-60% to decrease mold growth by:
a. Venting bathrooms, dryers, and other moisture-generating sources to the outside
b. Using air conditioners and dehumidifiers
c. Increasing ventilation
d. Using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing, and cleaning
6. Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
7. Clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles that are moldy may need to be replaced.
8. Prevent condensation: reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces by adding insulation to windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, and floors.
9. In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting – like sinks, or concrete floors with leaks or frequent condensation.
10. Mold can be found almost anywhere; it can grow on virtually any substance providing moisture is present. Mold can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.
These are some things you should know about mold. Most importantly it is controllable, if you take a proactive approach.
This wet weather has brought this more to the forefront than in recent years.
Don't let it get the best of your home!
Harrisburg PA Real Estate Expert
Ken Huebsch: Your premier real estate agent in the Greater Harrisburg area. I am a specialist in Harrisburg real estate as well as the communities of Palmyra, Hershey, and Hummelstown. My wife Leslye and I have a combined 40+ years' experience serving our clients -We KNOW Harrisburg. When you plan to buy or sell Harrisburg area real estate, allow us to work for you. We are dedicated professionals and are here for your success.
For more information on how we can best serve your real estate needs, please complete our online contact form or give us a call. Also, check out what our fabulous clients have to say about us on our testimonials page!
Cell: (717) 514-1793 Email: Ken@KensHomesales.com
Presented by KensHomeSales.com